{Altered Arts Magazine} Vintage Stereoscope Card Journal



Welcome to my very first official post for the Altered Arts Magazine Design Team! I am so excited to be a part of this talented group, and I can't wait to share lots of inspiring ideas and tutorials with you.


I found this stack of vintage stereoscope cards a few years ago, and they've been waiting for just the right project. They're faded, distressed, and a little warped, but I love that about them!


I decided to cut one of them in half and turn it into covers for a little book. For the signatures, I used Fabriano Medioevalis Stationery from Blick Art Materials. The paper in these pre-folded cards feels so soft and luxurious, and I love the deckled edge. They're perfect for making mini books! I purchased the regular single cards in a pack of 100, since I don't need the envelopes, but they are available with envelopes as well.


To wrap the signatures, I gathered a few bits and pieces from my stash, including a scrap of vintage sheet music, a shipping tag, and a piece of torn canvas fabric.


I folded one of the wraps around each of the signatures, then punched two equidistant holes on the left edge of the covers and the folded signatures to create the sewing stations for binding. A bit of vintage trim threaded through the holes and tied in the front completes the book.



Here's the finished book along with some bits and baubles that I will be using to embellish it. I can't wait to add some stitching, painting, and collage to my Stereoscope Book! If you don't have a stereoscope card to use, you can easily substitute some chipboard, book board, or other suitable material cut to size.


I am so honored to be a part of Altered Arts Magazine, and I'm thrilled to share a link with you for a free bonus issue and a $7 discount for a year's subscription through December 15th! Just visit this link for all the details.


Here's a little sneak peek of the project I created for the bonus issue, hand-stitched Luminary Wraps! This was such a fun project, and you can get the materials list and instructions in the free issue here.
Make Art..Be Happy!

Comments

  1. What a gorgeous book, Kimberly!
    Really love the combination of vintage materials! Beautiful neutral colors and so full of history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary! Making books is my first love, especially with vintage materials.

      Delete
  2. These are lovely. I read the instructions, and missed the real candle part. Are you placing the luminary inside a real candle base? I have a box of these luminaries and what a great idea to use them like this. Thank you Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly! I used battery operated pillar candles from Target that are real wax on the outside. They are very realistic but don't have a flame.

      Delete
  3. I am in love with your book!! Thank you for showing me each step! You made it look so easy to make a book that has that aged look I love!
    Thank YOU for being part of the Altered Arts Magazine Design Team!!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Daniella! This is a quick and easy book, but with so many possibilities! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. Hi Again Kimberly!
    I just left you a comment but it isn't here.
    If you got it, let me know. If not, I'll be back!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous book, Kim!! Love the signature wraps - it is the little unexpected extras that make a project like that so special!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michelle! So glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts